Your Premier Jamaican Sports Portal

Home
Badminton
Basketball
Beach Futbol
Bobsled
Body Building
Boxing
Chess
Commentary
Cricket
Cycling
Darts
Discus
Dominoes
Events
Fishing
Football
Go-cart
Golf
Gymnastics
Hockey
Horse Racing
Horse Riding
In Your Neighbourhood
Javelin
Lawn Tennis
Martial Arts
Motor Racing
Mountain Biking
Netball
One On One
Polo
Pool
Rugby
Shooting
Show Jumping
Ski
Skittles
Softball
Squash
Sunday Chat
Surfing
Swimming
Table Tennis
Track And Field
Upcoming Events
Volleyball
Water Polo
Yacht Race
About Us
Contact Us
Links
  Cricket

Group protests ban on Samuels

 
Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

It was a scene, albeit on a much smaller scale, that one would expect to see in cricket crazy countries like Pakistan and India but yesterday, close to 100 Jamaicans lined up to protest what they deemed to be unfair treatment handed down to West Indian batsman Marlon Samuels.

The group, organised and led by dancehall artiste Horace Lewis, popularly known as 'LA Lewis', was armed with placards which displayed "Free Marlon Samuels" and similar messages. They met at Lewis' offices on Burlington avenue, before a one hour march around Half-Way Tree, which included a brief stop at the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's court.

Samuels was banned for two years by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) in early May for breaching section C4 of the International Cricket Council's (ICC) code of conduct.

Infringement

According to the ruling for an infringement, which occurred during a series in India in February last year, the player "received money, benefit or other reward which could bring him or the game of cricket into disrepute".

The WICB ruling, which carries a minimum of two years, cannot be appealed based on ICC regulations.

"We have been watching this thing over the last couple of weeks and there has been a grave injustice done to Marlon Samuels," Lewis told The Gleaner.

"You can't ban a cricketer or any athlete for that without giving them the right to appeal it.

"Even when you have people found guilty of murder in court they have a right to appeal it. When the cricket people decided to do that it is almost a human rights violation," the charismatic Lewis said.

He added: "Enough is not being said about it so we as entertainers, working people and as sports people have come together to let our voices be heard.

"Maybe there are other people or players that would like to speak up, but they are scared to speak up because they will meet a similar fate. If that can happen to Marlon today though it might be someone else tomorrow."

According to the entertainer the ban, if upheld, has the potential to drive fans away from the game, as the player is one greatly favoured by many around the region.

Unique style

"Personally is only two people I always go to watch and that is Brian Lara and Marlon Samuels. With Lara gone a lot of people go to watch Marlon because he has his own unique style," he said.

"If you ban Marlon, particularly in this manner, then you will lose a lot of support from those people," he added.

The batsman represented by lawyers, QCs Churchill Neita and Delano Harrison, is pressing for a judicial review of the ruling.

Lewis has in the meantime vowed to continue the protest action, even taking his message to the dancehall.

| Print Article



Latest Articles in this Category