Sports Jamaica
your Premier Jamaican Sports Portal
Stirring comeback earns Portmore beach victory

Paul-Andre Walker, Staff Reporter

DEFENDING CHAMPIONS Portmore United are through to the next phase of the Red Stripe Light Beach Futbol competition, following second round action at the Hellshire Beach Club yesterday.

Portmore have yet to put a foot wrong as much like the week before, they had to pull out all the stops in ekeing out a 4-3 win, this time over Bath Sports Club.

Portmore were sent under way with a sixth-minute goal from Un-Ace Wright, but had to give up their lead when Denmar Living-stone scored in the 14th minute.

At 1-1, things looked a little sticky for the defending champions, especially after Jessie Johnson banged in a goal of his own in the 16th minute to give the newcomers, what they hoped was a decisive lead. When Livingstone scored again in the 20th minute, things looked grim for the champions. However, a fairy-tale story wasn't to be as Sheldon Palmer cut into Bath's lead by scoring in the 22nd minute. At 3-2 Bath still had hopes but an own goal four minutes from time signalled their demise, which was confirmed two minutes later when Palmer turned tormentor yet again by scoring another goal.

In the second game of the day, Maverley-Hughenden gave themselves a chance of making the second round when they beat newcomers Clarks Town 4-3.

Andr? McLean had a brace in the 19th and 21st minutes to lead the Maverley charge, while Curtis Eldemire (15th) and Keron DaSilva (16th) added invaluable goals.

For the losers, Phillip Williams (1st), Lennox Johnson (3rd and 24th) were the scorers.


After winning on the first day of competition, Arnett Gardens will now have to wait and see if they can make it into the next round, after they were clipped 2-1 by Rivoli.

Arnett scored first from the head of Horace Sharpe in the third minute, but conceded soon after with goals from Luke Soares (10th) and Fabian Gordon (25th).

Tafari Lions were issued a rude welcoming to the sands after they were thrashed 7-1 by Tivoli Gardens.

Navion Boyd did most of the thrashing with a hat-trick, as he hit the net in the 6th, 21st, and 27th minutes. Ryan Reid (11th, 22nd) and Jermaine Allen (29th, 32nd) also proved lethal for the winners.

Michael Legister grabbed the sole goal for Tafari Lions in the 30th minute.

In what turned out to be the final game of the day, Seba, aided by a spectacular extra-time goal from Glenroy Miller, scored a close 5-4 win over Star Cosmos.

Miller had also scored in the 18th minute, while his teammate Delroy Ellis had bagged a double in the fourth and fifth minutes. Stephan Forrest got their other goal in the 16th minute.

In their losing effort, Star Cosmos had goals from Leighton McDonald (1st), Adrian Henry (10th), Samora Palmer (24th) and Toussant Harris (27th).

The final game should have been between Constant Spring and Wadadah. However, the former were docked 10 goals after they failed to turn up for the game and have all but been eliminated from the competition.